Do you ever feel that “less than fresh” feeling?
I’m not talking about your downstairs, ladies and gents. My soul feels all crusty. I feel like I need an existential exfoliation.
Tomorrow, I’ll be turning twenty nine. While quite a few of my friends have already hit the dirty thirty milestone, mine is just on the horizon.
From what I can see, it looks good. Really good. It seems like once you hit that age, a calm washes over you. You know who you are, more than you ever did in your twenties. You have more self-love instead of self-loathing. And while you might not have everything you thought you would by that age, you’re surprisingly okay with that, and at least you’re working towards something.
I’m really excited to get to that point, but I feel like there are a few things I need to get out of the way beforehand. Hence the existential exfoliation. The soul crusties. I feel like if I were a ghost, I’d have unresolved issues. Me and my twenties have unfinished business.
There are things that I really wanted to have done by this age. They feel like they have a timeline. Things that might not be acceptable in your 30’s, things that I want to say I did before I turned 30, or just things that I’ve wanted to do that I’m afraid I’ll never do if I don’t give myself some kind of due date.
So I made a list. Over some time, I’ve been adding different things I really wanted to do to it, combing over it a few times, and editing here and there. Some items are serious, some are goofy, and completing the list will probably take some serious effort on my part. But I have no doubt that I’ll have a blast! I have one year to complete this list, and document along the way. I am seriously stoked.
Without further ado… My 30 Before 30 List.
- Cut my hair into a blonde pixie.
- Get my nose pierced.
- Get a tattoo.
- Run a 5k.
- Record a song.
- Buy a car.
- Lose 30 pounds.
- Buy 5 pairs of pants and have them tailored.
- Attend a Zumba class for a month.
- Unplug for one week (including smartphone, television, and computer).
- Attend one Unitarian Universalist service.
- Attend a rock concert with my husband.
- Sing Karaoke with my sisters in a bar.
- Complete the 7 day Marriage Challenge.
- Learn to play 5 songs on the guitar.
- Figure out my sewing machine, and sew a quilt.
- Have a proper bra fitting.
- Learn how to can fruits and veggies.
- Grow an herb garden.
- Pay off my credit cards.
- Ditch people and things (emotional and physical clutter) that don’t contribute to my happiness.
- Take one photo of myself each day for 30 days. (Self love project.)
- Give up dining out for 30 days.
- Visit a psychic.
- Master Julia Child’s croissant recipe from scratch.
- Get family photos taken.
- Learn 10 yoga poses by heart.
- For 30 days, take a walk every morning that ends in the 10 yoga poses.
- Take a vacation with my husband.
- Finish the Top 60 books on “The 100 Favorite Novels of Librarians” list.
There ‘ya have it. I’ll be popping in with progress on certain ones that will take time, like the books, the herb garden, the weight loss, and paying off my debt. I’ve started an Instagram account just for this countdown, which should be fun. And goofy. And non-crusty.
I don’t want this year to transform me; I want it to bring the me that has always been there out into the open, and for me to embrace her with open arms instead of hide her inside. Instead of my thirties being something I dread, it will be like a new journey with an old friend. And *that’s* something I can look forward to.